intoyourlungs

Pants' Books & Stuff!

Green Lantern, Vol. 1: Sinestro - Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke
Review originally posted here.

Why I Read It: After reading and enjoying Batman vol 1: The Court of Owls, I decided to try to read as many of the New 52 titles as possible (though I'm kind of aiming for them all, if I can.) Back when I read comics on a regular basis, Green Lantern was one of my favourites, so I decided to read it next. I will be divulging minor spoilers here, so read with caution if that bothers you. :D

I felt a little let-down by this title, but I'm not entirely sure why. I've narrowed it down to a few things:

1) It's been a few years since I've read Green Lantern with any regularity, so maybe I'm just not as into GL as I used to be.

2) Maybe I was never THAT crazy about Hal Jordan (which this particular Green Lantern title follows -- there are others who follow the other Green Lantern officers from Earth) to begin with. Kyle Rayner has always been my favourite, so maybe I'll like his comic more.

3) Maybe this was a case of "actually, it IS you" and this just wasn't very good.

I'm not really sure, but I DO know that I didn't care a whole lot for Hal Jordan. I liked that his life was presented as grim and more realistic: no more recklessly crashing super expensive planes for our careless hero. No, here, Jordan is nothing but a washed up has-been, though when I put it THAT way, it sounds a lot more trite and overdone, which it largely was; I was just glad to see Jordan be put in his place.

The story itself was fine, but it didn't do much for me either way: I didn't think it was particularly, but it wasn't BAD either. It kind of just WAS, and for that I was disappointed. The conclusion to the story was also pretty gag-inducing; WHY Carole was suddenly okay with Hal, just because he said he conjured up an image of HER when he only had enough juice in his ring for one more construct?? It doesn't change that he's a shitty boyfriend, and her suddenly changing her mind didn't feel genuine. I wasn't at all invested in their relationship.

The art was fine for the first 2/3 of the volume. It's has your typical American comic "look", though I'm not crazy about that style to begin with. It was nice and colourful though. The last part of the volume though suddenly changed styles and I didn't like it AT ALL. It was just ugly ugly ugly and I hated it. I hope to god they don't do anymore of the series in that style.

Final Verdict: I feel like I've been overly harsh in this review, because all in all, this volume was all right. I just wasn't in LOVE with it like I used to love Green Lantern, which is too bad, because GL is what got me into superhero comics in the first place. The story was all right and a fine place to start fresh (though I wish I had some more context for what was going on with Hal losing his ring and Sinestro's getting his back -- but that's what you get when you don't follow comic titles for awhile), but it didn't really grab me. The art was also pretty decent, though the last issue or two were illustrated by someone else and I didn't like them at all. I'll still keep going with the series because I'm curious to see where it goes, but I didn't like it nearly as much as Batman.