intoyourlungs

Pants' Books & Stuff!

Going Places - Fran Hurcomb I liked this more than I thought I would -- while I appreciate what Orca publishing tries to do (publish short books in the hopes of luring in reluctant readers) they're still not my favourite so I wasn't expecting much here. I found myself enjoying learning about life in the Northwestern Territories though! I'm also not a hockey person, but the big game at the end of the book, while simply written, managed to convey excitement and I can see young readers (especially ones who enjoy hockey) getting caught up in it.

The weakest point of the novel would definitely be the writing; it's very simple and could have used some better editing to smooth out some clunkiness (some of the sentences were awkward, or words were repeated within the same sentence), but there was still a love for the setting that shone through despite that which I appreciated greatly. The characters weren't very well drawn either; I couldn't tell anyone apart, outside of some defining trait (Kaitlin was the main character, Alice was the goalie, there were twins who were figure skaters, etc.). This is more of a story-driven kind of story anyway, so the book concerns itself much more with presenting a simple story of girls forming a girls-only hockey team while throwing in a short (and predictable) mystery into the mix.

All in all, while this was far from perfect (weak writing and characterization being the main problems), the setting and the author's obvious love for it drew me in and helped me enjoy this a lot more than I initially thought I would. The hockey elements were good and I'm sure will entice younger readers interested in that subject, and the little mystery thrown in keep things from getting too stale and boring.