intoyourlungs

Pants' Books & Stuff!

The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid This was another book that, like with Little Bee, I have a hard time reviewing because of the subject matter. It's heavy stuff, and stuff that I'm glad to see an author write about, but at times it feels like the novel's only strength. The narration, while different and a little off-putting (you sort of feel like Hamid is putting YOU in the American's shoes, which can be a little jarring and almost offensive at times) is still very well-done. Using the second-person is tricky business, and Hamid managed to pull it off. The story itself is compelling enough, as Changez is a morally upright character who you want to see succeed. Of course, his morality becomes a little more ambiguous as the stories goes on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The tension between Changez and the American is also riddled with ambiguities, and leaves a lot of room for interpretation when it comes to the end of the novel. The one thing that really bugged me about the whole thing was how... urr.. descriptive, Changez was with his story when it came to his and Erica's relationship. I mean, he's telling it to a stranger, and he even notes when he's getting into the TMI bits that he realizes he's maybe being a little too giving with the details. Which just made me wonder: "Then why are you telling him all this in the first place?"

This novel has also been described as a thriller, but I think that's using the term a little liberally to be honest. I can see WHERE people are pulling that from, but I didn't read this story that way at all.

All in all, an okay read. It's very quick (I read it in about 2.5 hours) and it's well-crafted, just not something I feel in love with.