intoyourlungs

Pants' Books & Stuff!

Fighting Ruben Wolfe - Markus Zusak (Original review posted on my livejournal account: http://intoyourlungs.livejournal.com/35548.html)

Why I Read It: It's Markus Zusak. In 2009, I read and fell in love with The Book Thief and to this day I consider it one of my all-time favourite books. In 2010, I read I Am The Messenger and I *also* consider that book an all-time favourites.

I think this was my favourite of the trilogy. In this installment, Cam and Ruben get caught up in an illegal boxing gig. Cam's not much of a fighter, but Ruben is an amazing one, and as such, Cam starts to see a kind of rift come between them: Ruben is making a somebody out of himself, while Cameron is getting left behind and is still a loser. There's also some family drama on the side, such as Cam's dad not having any work, and his sister being dumped and facing harassment at school.

This book flowed seamlessly from Underdog but still has a very distinct feel. This is largely due to the fact that things HAPPEN, and themes are extrapolated. Family unity is a BIG thing here and I loved it. Like in Underdogs, you really feel the brotherly solidarity between Cam and Ruben, but it also translates to the rest of the family. I love a contemporary novel that has a focus on family and this novel did it wonderfully.